Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Visit to Arts High School

Visiting Arts High School in Newark on September 23, 2008 was quite an experience. The school was unlike any school I have ever seen. The students were happy, truly happy to be there. The atmosphere was nothing like my high school, it was inviting and warm. Gorgeous artwork was plastered all over the halls, ceilings, almost everywhere you turned; and the best part of the artwork was that it was done by the students.

My first impression of the students was that they really seem talented and were extremely welcoming. They waved and smiled as we passed them in the hallways and seemed to appreciate us being there. The teachers that we met were just as welcoming. They shared some valuable information with us about teaching and about the school's history. I learned how many influential and well recognized people graduated from Arts and come back frequently to inspire the students there. I even got a chance to meet two of the graduates and listen to their stories about how successful they have become.

The atmosphere was a bit of a culture shock considering I went to private school for most of my ecuational career. I never really thought about what an "Arts" school would be like, but this was definitely outside of any high school I would have imagined. The classrooms ranged from dance studios to media rooms to a huge theatre. The most interesting part about Arts High School was the curriculum. The students were able to do what they love for majority of the day and music, dance, art was incorporated into English, Math, History and all the other required subjects that might not be as interesting to them. The teachers really help the students learn and live up to their full potential. They go out of their way to make sure that the students are doing well in all aspects of their educational career. It was obvious, just watching the teachers and students interact, how great the learning environment was between them.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised at our visit to Arts and look forward to spending more time getting to know the students and offering my help to them. I am glad to have the opportunity to be around such knowledgeable teachers who are willing to help me become a teacher myself. First impressions are very important and Arts High School left a great impression with me.

No comments: